Pesky those things floating thoughts
Here I sit,
Its after midnight… my mind wont shut down… What should I do next… I am young, active, and could do just about anything. My mind keeps going back to the most influential part of my life, the time I spent in the US army, I ended up getting kicked out for want of love. Stupid reason really, but can I do anything to get that changed? NO! I have applied to get my discharge reviewed, I have done what was required of me to get back in but I can not get accepted. There is nothing like being in the military! the feeling of belonging and brotherhood, ALWAYS being pushed to be the best, the responsibility and honor of knowing that your life is in in your brother’s hands and theirs are in yours.
I have been thinking about this for years, It keeps popping back up over and over again. If the US doesn’t want me why not go abroad? I see two options:
- Join the French Foreign Legion. Why not? after a 5 year term of enlistment I can apply for full french citizenship, being a member of the EU has its benefits, its a lot easier to travel throughout Europe for one. Also I can use my skills where they are needed, help out those who need help, and defend those who can’t defend themselves. I could have the chance to make a new life for myself, make up for some of my past mistakes, and do something that I feel that I could be proud of. Not to mention learn french!
- I bum my way around Europe. starting in the U.K. Take a load of sweet pictures and meet a million new people. :/ only issue is that its getting close to winter, I only know English, and while I don’t mind being off the grid for long periods of time I know Many people would miss me terribly.
I have to say that neither of the options on their own is very compelling, but combined? I like it! I’m done with long term relationships, I have too much I need to do and I haven’t done enough with my life yet.
|Plus isn’t this a good enough reason to join?|
If I am going to do this I need a list, of where to go, what to do, when and what I will need.
Where to go:
- VT Code Camp
- Champlain Valley Maker Faire
- Visiting Family
- The U.K.
- France – Foreign Legion
What I need to do:
- Present projects to the various geek-galas in VT
- Discuss this Idea with friends and family
- Begin Prepping for departure
- Find Bus ticket to Rochester
- Visit family for the first time in a few years
- Continue prep.
- Book Flight to England
- Visit U.K. friends
- Send gifts home
- Depart for France
- Enlist in Foreign Legion
- (continue list later)
What I need:
- Travel food
- Water Bottle
- Small blanket/sleeping bag
- Good shoes / Boots
- Semi-Rugged long lasting smartphone or cell + laptop
- Shaving kit
- To Be Continued…