FOSS – Free Open Source Software
I will Add more in a future post but for now Have fun with these great programs. Let me know if you have any other FOSS or FLOSS programs that you love using!
I also want to thank the following people for helping inspire me in my quest to FOSS:
Paul Flint , David LaFreniere, Kevin Cole and Josh Sled
What is FOSS?
Free and open-source software(FOSS) or free/libre/open-source software (FLOSS) is software that is both free software and open source.
It is liberally licensed to grant users the right to use, copy, study, change, and improve its design through the availability of its source code.
This approach has gained both momentum and acceptance as the potential benefits have been increasingly recognized by both individuals and corporations.
- Ubuntu – Fast, free and incredibly easy to use, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktop PCs, laptops and servers around the world. Ubuntu will work with your existing PC files, printers, cameras, music players and smartphones – and it comes with thousands of free apps.
- Kubuntu -Kubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers. It contains all the applications you need: a web browser, an office suite, media apps, an instant messaging client and many more.
- Lubuntu – Lubuntu is a fast and lightweight operating system developed by a community of Free and Open Source enthusiasts. The core of the system is based on Linux and Ubuntu . Lubuntu uses the minimal desktop LXDE, and a selection of light applications. We focus on speed and energy-efficiency. Because of this, Lubuntu has very low hardware requirements.
- Linux Mint -The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.
- Firefox – The free, non-profit browser for desktop and mobile.
- Chromium – Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.
Email / Messaging Clients
- ThunderBird – Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize – and it’s loaded with great features!
- Mutt – “All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less.”
- Empathy – Empathy is a messaging program which supports text, voice, and video chat and file transfers over many different protocols. You can tell it about your accounts on all those services and do all your chatting within one application.
- Pidgin – Pidgin is an easy to use and free chat client used by millions. Connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and more chat networks all at once.
- Finch – Finch is an IM and IRC client for command line. It supports all the protocols supported by pidgin. Like pidgin, it makes use of libpurple. So, all your account configured for pidgin can be used on finch too .
Media Players (Audio, Video, Etc.)
- VLC – VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
- LibreOffice is the power-packed free, libre and open source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and GNU/Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base.
Numerical Problem Solving
- Octave – GNU Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical computations.
Development / IDEs
- Eclipse – an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle
CADD (Computer Aided Drafting and Design)
- FreeCAD -FreeCAD is a general purpose feature-based, parametric 3D modeler for CAD, MCAD, CAx, CAE and PLM, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits a wider range of uses in engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialties. It is 100% Open Source and extremely modular, allowing for very advanced extension and customization.
- QCAD – QCAD is an application for computer aided drafting in two dimensions (2d). With QCAD you can create technical drawings such as plans for buildings, interiors, mechanical parts or schematics and diagrams. QCAD works on Windows, Mac OS X and many Linux and Unix Systems. The source code of the QCAD Community Edition is released under the GPL (Open Source).
- Azureus-Azureus is a java-based bittorrent client.
- Ares Galaxy-Ares is a free open source file sharing program that enables users to share any digital file over P2P and has a built-in bittorrent client
- Transmission -Transmission is an open source, volunteer-based project. Unlike some BitTorrent clients, Transmission doesn’t play games with its users to make money:
- ClamAV — ClamAV is an open source (GPL) antivirus engine designed for detecting Trojans, viruses, malware and other malicious threats. It is the de facto standard for mail gateway scanning. It provides a high performance mutli-threaded scanning daemon, command line utilities for on demand file scanning, and an intelligent tool for automatic signature updates. The core ClamAV library provides numerous file format detection mechanisms, file unpacking support, archive support, and multiple signature languages for detecting threats. The core ClamAV library is utilized in Immunet 3.0, powered by ClamAV, which is a fast, fully featured Desktop AV solution for Windows.